Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Just Visiting


"For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in heaven, which is yet to come." -- Hebrews 13:14

It is human nature to hate change. We get settled in a certain geographical location, a job, and even a church building. And then God does something that rocks our world and He asks us to move. I'm convinced that God has to scatter His people from time to time to keep us moving forward. Think about Abraham, asked to leave his native land and his relatives (Genesis 12), but God made him a great nation. But also think about the story in Genesis 11 of the Tower of Babel. God had to scatter those people because they decided to build a name for themselves. God scatters for many reasons, but when He does, we must remember that our assignment here on earth is to "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." (Mark 16:15). 

I had a dream recently in which I was asked to walk away from something that I had poured my heart and soul into for about 11 years. As I was leaving to get into my car, I noticed my car was in the visitor parking space. Immediately God impressed on my heart that I was only visiting. This season was over. New things were about to begin. I just hope and pray that I remember this lesson well and don't dig my heels in if and when God says it's time to move again. We are just visiting.

No comments: