Friday, December 30, 2011

Creating Memories

"Grandparents are proud of their grandchildren, just as children are proud of their parents." -- Proverbs 17:6, GNT

I was watching a Suze Orman podcast the other day and she was giving out some advice prior to Christmas. She said rather than give your children so many gifts, give them experiences and memories. Thinking back to my own childhood my greatest memories are not in the toys I owned but in the memories of my mother sitting on the floor with us making memories through playtime. She would play games and encourage our imaginations to soar through make believe. She was always a full participant and never just a spectator.

My children have fond memories of their two grandmothers doing the same with them. My mother has carried on the merrymaking with her grandchildren and now with her great grandchildren. My spouse's mom saved the toys from her children's childhood and brought them out for the grandchildren -- such a treat to explore the toys from days of old -- most of them battery free! My girls still talk about these memories.

I have learned from both grandmothers and for that I am grateful. I think my grandparenting is a little bit of both of them. I too saved my girls toys and my grandchildren are delighted when I dig out some old toy from the basement to delight them. I've brought these toys out little by little to keep the excitement going -- we're going on 6 years now! And I've also taken on the role my mom used to take with us. At times I even amaze myself with the different hats of imaginary play I am able to wear with my grandsons.

Here's to creating memories!

No comments: