Friday, September 26, 2008

Rebuke

Matthew 16:23 "But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art a stumbling-block unto me: for thou mindest not the things of God, but the things of men."
This scripture came to me last night and I couldn't help but wonder how often many of us (me included) have played the role of "stumbling block" -- not minding the things of God, but the things of men. Jesus rebukes Peter in front of the disciples, probably because they also needed to hear it. But notice, that in Jesus' rebuking of Peter he does not say, "I'm done with you" or "I don't love or value you." Jesus rebuked the "spirit" speaking through Peter and not Peter himself. I'm convinced it was in love and with complete restoration in mind. Jesus was in relationship with Peter and had poured much encouragement into him (i.e. he had first paved the road with love).

Today's prayer: "God, forgive me for the times I've been a stumbling block. Keep my eyes on the things of God and off the things of men. Send others to rubuke me, in love, whenever it is necessary. Lead me to good, solid, accountability relationships; relationships that exhort and encourage and come along beside me. And, yes, I'll take the rebuking too, especially if the road has first been paved with love."

No comments: