Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Comfort Zone

Genesis 12:1-2 "Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing."

I love the KJV rendering of God's command to Abram, "Get thee out of thy country." God tells Abram to leave his country and his family and his father's household and go to a land that He will show him. God calls us to obedience in the same way, and often times He will say "Get thee out of thy comfort zone." Some of God's biggest blessings (and challenges!) come when we step out into the unknown, leaving behind everything familiar to us, to walk in faith. Abraham must have felt like an alien. I've known that feeling. God calls us to something new and we're "out there" all alone saying, "Wait, surely this is not what God said." Feeling like an alien is usually the first indication that we're in the right place with God. I've learned that stepping out into the unknown is where God does some of His best work. It's a place where blessing (and testing) flow hand in hand.

Today's prayer: "God, I'm out here. Yes, it's a strange land -- not much familiar in sight. Must be the right place, and though I don't see any road signs I sense your presence; your confirmation; your urging. If I strain my eyes I can still see "my comfort zone" -- way back there where I left it. Just a few more steps and it will disappear completely, dropping below the horizon."

No comments: