Monday, October 6, 2008

Fear

Joshua 1:9 "I command you – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

If God has "commanded" -- called and commissioned us to do something, then He is sure to go with us. Where does our fear come from? I think Beth Moore hit on this. To some degree, we are all afraid of failing. We're afraid of letting God, ourselves, and others down. We somehow want to hide our "humanness." We may not speak our fears out loud, but Satan watches our actions. He can read us like a book. Satan sets the trap -- the very thing we're afraid of doing; the very thing we're afraid of becoming, and the very area in which we're afraid we might fall -- he sets up the circumstances to try and trip us up. But praise GOD -- He tells us to be strong and courageous and not to be afraid. We scream, "I can't. I won't. God, what if I fail you?" And, He lovingly echoes back, "I am the potter and you are the clay and I WILL NEVER FAIL YOU!"

Today's prayer: "God, in what areas am I most afraid of failing? Help me submit to the potter's hand. Help me press through the fear of man and the fear of failure. You've already accounted for my failure in your plan. You've even accounted for my stupidity. And yet, you still say, I will never fail you. This lump of clay can only respond with thank you, thank you, thank you."

No comments: