Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Going Through The Motions

Sometimes it feels as if I'm just going through the motions -- how about you? I woke this morning to Matthew West's song, "The Motions" and the lyrics struck a chord somewhere deep inside my soul. I don't want to just go through the motions. I need the consuming passion of Jesus inside of me. And more than that, I want to live on purpose, not defined by routine or ritual. I made this song my morning devotion. I stepped aside from my somewhat normal routine; in fact, I didn't even open my Bible today. Sometimes God speaks loudest through another person, a song, a chance encounter, His creation, circumstances, a dream..... I think it's okay to change things up a bit once in awhile. And before you stone me, I don't recommend skipping your Bible reading, but just for this morning it was what I needed. "I don't want to spend my whole life asking what if I had given everything? Instead of going through the motions."

Matthew West, "The Motions"

This might hurt
It’s not safe
But I know that I’ve gotta make a change
I don’t care
If I break
At least I’ll be feeling something
‘Cause just ok
Is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don’t wanna go through the motions
I don’t wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking
What if I had given everything?
Instead of going through the motions

No regrets
Not this time
I’m gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love
Make me whole
I think I’m finally feeling something

Take me all the way
Take me all the way
Take me all the way

Today's prayer: "God, I don't want a life of ritual without meaning. I need a life of passion for you. I want to find out what might happen if I throw caution to the wind and embrace this destiny in you. Consume me with that passion."

1 comment:

Sharla Racioppa said...

Sweet Jesus - throwing caution to the wind! I love it.