Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sorting

Jesus prayed:
"And I give myself entirely to you so they also might be entirely yours. I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony. My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father -- that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are -- I in them and you in me, all being perfected into one. Then the world will know that you sent me and will understand that you love them as much as you love me." -- John 17:19-23, NLT

I recently listened to a podcast by Danny Silk and I had to laugh out loud when he began describing how he sorts out his M&M's by color before he eats them. I do the same thing! First I sort them into groups by color. Then I eat select M&M's from each pile until the piles contain the same number. After that, I eat my least favorite colors (bye bye red!). Before you call the OCD police, let me explain where I'm taking this. Sorting. We all do it. And sadly, we do a lot of it in the Body of Christ (think denominations). We like to sort. It helps us decide who's in our group and who's not. But Jesus prayed in John 17 that we would be ONE. There is no sorting in the number ONE. Can't be done. The Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) are ONE and that's God's desire for us. In fact, Jesus said that's how the world will know we belong to Him -- when we become ONE. I know I will never be able to eat M&M's again without remembering that Jesus prayed for us to be ONE.

No comments: