Thursday, July 21, 2011

Boiling Water

For God does speak--now one way, now another-- though man may not perceive it. -- Job 33:14

It's been said that "a watched pot never boils" but that isn't exactly true. I believe it's the staring at the pot and the waiting for the boil that makes it seem so. And when we turn our back it often boils over!

I think hearing God's voice is a little like that. We set out to hear God's voice and we sit there watching and waiting (and listening) and the "pot" never seems to boil, but turn your back for a moment and it bubbles up.

I think we need to be "intentional" and "unintentional" in our pursuit of God's voice. Reading God's WORD, the Bible, is intentional and a practice that should not be neglected. God speaks most often through His Word.

But I also believe (and have experienced) God's voice in the "unintentional." Many of my blog posts were inspired by such moments with God -- I call these unintentional because I was not specifically setting out to pursue His voice. 

I do love how God is always intentional in communicating with us, whether or not we're being intentional. I hear Him loud and clear in these unintentional moments such as a walk on the beach with my grandkids, or when I retire at night to the symphony of the crickets, and even in the mundane task of painting of a room.

The next time you need to hear from God concerning a matter, be both intentional and unintentional and I believe the answer will bubble up ... just like boiling water. Read the WORD so that God has something in you to breathe upon and then go get unintentional -- take a walk, immerse yourself in a project, play in the water or dance in the rain -- and then get ready for the water to boil over with His voice.

No comments: