Thursday, April 30, 2009

GOP

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:1-3, NIV)

Dr. David Faust, CCU, recently spoke at Cobblestone and challenged us to find our "GOP" -- He defined GOP as the intersection of your gifts, opportunities, and passion. When those three things come together (or intersect), we ignite! I think he was trying to say that our GOP needs to be our priority -- we need to find that intersection; and throw off everything else that hinders or gets in the way of running the race marked out for us.

I've been asking God about my gifts -- I'm not musical, athletic, scientific, or craftsman material. I can get lost on a one-way street. I often refer to myself as directionally-challenged. I cannot put together a bookshelf or other piece of equipment without very clear directions, complete with pictures and lots of arrows. And, even then, I have to turn the diagram so that it lines up with what's in front of me.

On spiritual gift assessments, I consistently score high in faith, intercession, discernment, leadership, and wisdom. But, my passion is prayer; both in the secret place (or prayer closet); and in more public settings (praying over & laying hands on others). Since we're all called to pray without ceasing, I ask, "Is it possible to be gifted in prayer?" Or, is prayer the passion, and faith & discernment the gift that makes it powerful? These are the kinds of questions I've been pondering of late.

Today's prayer:
"God, thank you for calling me by name and preparing a plan for my life in advance of my birth. Thank you for directing my steps along that path and steering me back when I veered off that path. You, by your Spirit, have ignited a passion for prayer in me and I thank you. It was not always that way. You have selected my gifts and I am grateful for your wisdom. O, Lord, now I ask you to set before me opportunities in which my 'GOP' will glorify your Holy Name."

No comments: