Thursday, September 29, 2011

Treasure

"He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old." -- Matthew 13:52

My husband and I are cleaning out the basement -- a task that energizes me but drains him. However, yesterday he came upon a childhood Disney book that his mom read to him when he was young. Too young to read, he said he remembered memorizing the words in the book and then he'd "read" them back to her. I asked him if the book was old, smelly, and crumbling after all these years and he replied yes. I then asked, "what did you do with it?" He replied, "I put it with my treasures."

I had to smile when we got to Bible study last night and our pastor explained the scripture passage in Matthew 13:52 in terms of finding a treasure in your basement that you had forgotten about and how when found it brought great joy to its owner. It's just like God to supply the example before the lesson!

No comments: