Friday, February 10, 2012

Blank Canvas

"[We are] the work of a Master artist! (Song of Solomon 7:1, The Message)

"And yet, LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We are all formed by your hand." -- Isaiah 64:8

Do you ever want to be someone else, look like someone else, talk like someone else? We have all done it. The question is why? Why can't we accept the canvas God has painted that belongs exclusively to us? If you have brown eyes it's because God said "this one will have brown eyes." The same thing applies to spiritual gifts. Why does the teacher want to be like the evangelist or the evangelist like the prophet? I love this quote by Jean Pierre de Caussade:

"We must offer ourselves to God like a clean, smooth canvas and not worry ourselves about what God may choose to paint on it, but at each moment, feel only the stroke of His brush."

Today's prayer: "God, when I look in the mirror let me see Your hand on this canvas, completely perfect in Your sight. Let me not care that the message of this world tells me I must change this canvas and distort its image until it becomes acceptable in their sight. Thank you for making me just the way I am and giving me the spiritual gifts you desire me to have. Amen."  

No comments: